An ultimate goal of this project is to prepare a new generation of Mechanical Engineers capable of performing practical Engineering works by employing Computer-Aided Engineering/Design/Manufacturing (CAE/CAD/CAM) and computer modeling tools. With their newly acquired skills, they will be able to perform their functions better and their employer will introduce new products in to the market at a very short time and with better quality while keeping the costs low. These engineers will be capable of using best of tools that can offer better quality with maximum productivity, best styling in addition to the superior function. To reach the main objective of the project a Master of Science (M.Sc.) programme in Computer-Aided Engineering and computer applications in Mechanical Engineering will be developed. It will be carried out in close cooperation with industrial sector of Uzbekistan and Uzbek and European universities, who will be project consortium members. Through this M.Sc. programme close cooperation links between industry and university systems in Uzbekistan will be spanned and high quality of education in a higher education system in Mechanical Engineering programs will be enhanced.
To achieve these goals the following activities will be carried out:
- A new curricula of M.Sc. programme in computer-aided engineering will be created in cooperation with KTH-TARI-JizPI-PdT and Uzbek Industry Sectors, Uzavtosanoat and Uzavtoyol.
- Retraining courses in CAE/CAD/CAM and computer modeling for Uzbek university teachers will be developed.
- Thirty teachers, lecturers and professors from TARI and JizPI will be retrained in CAE/CAD/CAM and computer modeling tools.
- Retraining courses in CAE/CAD/CAM and computer modeling for current industry engineers will be developed. Consequently, these engineers will be trainers for their co-workers and colleagues at their work-place.
- Thirty engineers currently working in industry will be retrained in CAE/CAD/CAM and computer modeling tools.
- Books, tutorials and handouts in retraining courses will be developed in Russian and Uzbek languages.
- Software packages in CAE/CAD/CAM and computer modeling will be acquired.
- To enable teachers participating in the project, intensive English language courses will be organized at TARI and JizPI.
- A CAE lab, adequately equipped with CAM tools and CAE software packages, will be established at TARI.
- A CAD computer class with appropriate CAE software packages will be created at JizPI.
- New modern teaching methodologies in Engineering subjects will be developed.
- Workshops and seminars devoted to Bologna system and new teaching techniques will be organized.
- A well linked consortium between TARI-JizPI and Uzavtosanoat and Uzavtoyol enterprises will be established.
- Student mobility activities at KTH and PdT will be carried out for Uzbek students involved in the developed M.Sc. programme. Five potential students will perform thesis projects in their last semester of study at KTH or PdT.
- Thesis works and projects of graduate students studying in this programme will be monitored and advised by industry professionals from Uzavtosanoat and Uzavtoyol.
- Twenty skillful and potential students, who have strong engineering and computer skills from their B.Sc. level, with sufficient English language skills will be admitted to the developed programme through an open competition.
- EU student mobility from KTH and PdT to TARI will be arranged.
By successfully implementing and performing ultimate goals of the project and above mentioned activities, the following outcomes will be achieved in a short term:
- Quality of education will be improved substantially in Mechanical Engineering field at TARI and JizPI.
- New motivation and challenging reasons will be created for senior teachers and professors at Uzbek universities, TARI and JizPI for retraining and updating their skills.
- Close links between Uzbek enterprises and universities will be achieved.
- A new generation of skilled trainers in CAE and computer applications in engineering tasks for industry and university will be prepared.
- In Uzbek industry enterprises, quality of their products will be improved and they will become more market oriented and competitive.
- Quality of research carried out at Uzbek universities will be improved. This will be beneficial in many regards for universities and industry as well.
- Close future cooperation links will be established between Uzbek universities, TARI and JizPI, and European universities, KTH and PdT.
- Diploma supplement from KTH and PdT will be given in addition to the diploma of TARI for the students, who have undergone one semester of study at KTH or PdT.
- A CAE/CAM training laboratory with adequate CAM equipment will be established at TARI.
- A CAD training class with adequate software packages will be established at JizPI.
A long term perspective of this project is to use acquired knowledge and experiences throughout the project realization as a base for implementation of Bologna Process at Uzbek educational institutions. Also, a developed M.Sc. programme in CAE in the framework of this project will be implemented at other Uzbek polytechnic universities as a sample to develop a new one or as it is.
The M.Sc. programme in CAE will be full two years of study. To the programme, the students, who got a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Engineering with strong computer, language and Engineering skills, will be admitted. All two year programme courses will be taught whole in English. The final developed curricula of this M.Sc. programme will be implemented at other polytechnic universities in Uzbekisatn. On this programme, the following courses will be designed to teach students:
In the first year of study:
- Engineering Mathematics - I
- Engineering Mathematics - II
- Engineering Vibrations
- Solid Mechanics
- Control Systems
- Finite Element Methods
- Design for Manufacturing and Assembly
For the second year of study, the following courses and course works will be.
- CAE, CAD and CAM systems and software packages/applications
- Computer Modeling of machine systems
- Mechanical design calculations by using computer tools
- Management in production
- Thesis/Project work, which is a real world problem solution, will be designed in cooperation with industry.
These afore mentioned courses will meet expectations and specific needs of nowadays industry and manufacturing enterprises in Uzbekistan.
The vision of this project is to produce a new generation of Uzbek Engineers who are well educated with computer applications in engineering and computer modeling relevant to their jobs. Advanced teaching methodologies should be implemented to graduate courses. This vision is applied in this project to the branch of CAE/CAD/CAM and computer modeling because it is the specialty of the consortium members. Nevertheless, the consortium would like to spread out the new information, experiences, capabilities and knowledge acquired during realization of this project ideas. The project will result in an advanced educational model to prepare highly qualified engineers.
The dissemination will target three different groups:
- Other teachers at the Faculty of Engineering working in different fields at TARI and JizPI. They can benefit from new teaching methodologies developed during the project. Estimated 30 persons.
- Other teachers and faculties in the field of Ground Vehicle Engineering at nine polytechnic universities in Uzbekistan and which are members of a university methodology institution (UMI) based at TARI. Estimated 45 persons.
- Companies and organizations, which are enterprises of the associations "Uzavtosanoat" and "Uzavtoyol" working in the field of engineering to present the project outcomes. Special interest will be given to the institutions working through the Ministry of machine building. Estimated 50 persons.
Towards the end of the project, three united seminars will be held in cooperation with the Ministry of Higher Education of Uzbekistan, UMI, "Uzavtosanoat" and "Uzavtoyol". Following these seminars, several workshops will be arranged with those who are interested to get into the details of the project activities and the applied techniques. These workshops will also serve as planning for future cooperation between TARI and JizPI other Uzbek universities and the industry. Meetings will be organized at TARI, JizPI and at a few enterprises of "Uzavtosanoat" and "Uzavtoyol" located in different regions of Uzbekistan geographically. Printed information will be available to be distributed to all targeted groups. EU teachers will have an important role in these activities. They will join the seminars, visits and workshops.
A website will be created on the Internet about the project. Links to this website will be found on all consortium universities websites. Also, this website will be linked with home portals of TARI and JizPI at the Ministry of Higher Education's joint portal, to which more than 60 universities have links. The website will include two parts, the first one is for the general public and includes general information about the project plus some details about the new implemented methodologies. The second part will be internal for the consortium members (password protected) where all the progress reports, presentations can be found.
Last but not least, information about the project will be disseminated through the national mass media to cover wider scope of Uzbek educational and industrial community. A reportage will be published in the newspapers.
TARI will establish the "CAE Society of Uzbekistan" whose members will be all teachers, researchers, engineers and managers related to the field of computer-aided engineering and modeling in Uzbekistan. The main objective is to strengthen the cooperation and knowledge transfer within the members and with other international societies.